If you have come to this page from a search engine click here to visit our home page.
VTVS07/08 I Thought I Was the Only One
'Dulcimer Players from England'
Ted Carr 'Just' Henry Fred Woodley Bill Fell Charlie Shenstone Leslie Evans Walter Geary Molly Whittacker Jimmy Roger Billy Cooper Billy Bennington Tommy Sparkes Charlie Philpott Reg Reader
(click on the underlined
artistes name to see a photo and /or a short biography)
All the players on this album can be classed as traditional players as they have had their music passed down to them by their family or communities and only a few have had contact with the 'folk scene' after they had been 'discovered'. Many thought that nobody else still played the dulcimer, which accounts for the title.
The main surviving 'hot beds' were the urban traditions of London and Birmingham and the rural tradition of East Anglia. In the cities the dulcimer was almost exclusively played with plectrums while in Suffolk and Norfolk wool wrapped cane beaters are used. Each of the two cassettes in this set is devoted to one these areas including the best two current players: Fred Woodley from the West Midlands and Reg Reader from Suffolk.
£12.99 incl. UK P+P Add to Basket
1. Breakdown - Walthamstow- London 1975
2. Tammy - Walthamstow, London 1975
3. Heart of my Heart - Walthamstow. London 1975
4. Ted's Own Tune - Wathamstow, London 1975
5. We'll Stroll the Lanes Together /Charmaine /True love /Edelweiss
/Always /Poor Little Sheep - Walthamstow, London 1975
6. Breakdown Emote - Wath.un.stow, London 1975
7. Song Tune Medley ins: My Old Man's a Dustman
/Let's All Go Down the Strand/ Tiptoe Through the Tulips
/Tavern in the Town /Knees up Mother Brown
/The Lambeth Walk /Okey Cokey /If only You Could Love Me
- Greenwich. London 1990
8. Danny Boy /Unknown - Greenwich, London 1990
9. Wheels - Solihull. West Midlands 1997
10. I Believe (ore the Octane Dulcimer) - Solihull, West Midlands 1997
11. We Will Make Love /When You are in Love
-Solihull. West Midlands 1997
12. The. Bells of St Mary's- Solihull, West Midlands 1997
1. The Mountain Belle Schottische - Birmingham 1978
2. Picannini's Bedtime- Birmingham 1978
3. Garry Owen /St Patrick's Day /Highland Laddic
- Birmingham 1978
4. Bonny Dundee - Birmingham 1978
5. Stop Your Tickling Jock - Birmingham 1978
6. The Girl I left Behind Me - Birmingham 1978
7. The Mountains of Mourne /Galway Bay - Birmingham 1978
8. Schottische - Birmingham 1978
9. Sailor's Hornpipe - Birmingham 1978
10. Unknown Bells /Blue Bells of Scotland Bells - Birmingham 1973
11. Blaze Away with Sid Sin,- accordion) - Birmingham 1973
12. Going Hone - Kingstanding, Birmingham 1974 r
13. Bringing in the Scottish Pipe Band: Loch Lomond
/Mountains of Mourns, /You Take the High Road /Merry • Widow
/Scotland the Brave /Swanee River /Lily of Laguna
/My Old Man Said Follow the Van
/Just a Song at Twilight Bell Changes
- Kingstanding, Birmingham 1974
14. Amazing Grace /The Lord is my Shepherd
- Kingstanding. Birmingham 1974
15. Hunting Song (John Peel) - Kingstanding Birmingham 1974
16. March of the Hebrew Slaves - Kingstanding, Birmingham 1974
17. The Lass of Richmond Hill - Kingstanding. Birmingham 1974
18. Hart Largo (wi ith Michael Smith piano)
- Kingstanding. Birmingham 1974
19. Silent Worship (r ah Michael Smith pun,)
- Kingstanding- Birmingham 1974
1. Sherringham Breakdown - North Repps, Norfolk 1958.
2. Covered Waggon - North Repps, Norfolk 1958.
3. Old Faithful - North Repps, NorfoIk 1958
4. Sailor's Hornpipe - North Repps. Norlblk 1958.
5. Farmer's Boy (raid, unknown singer) - North Repps, Norfolk 1958.
6. Cock of the North /Keel Row - North Repps, Nofolk 1958.
7. Heel and Toc Polka - North Repps, Norfolk 1958.
8. Yarmouth Hornpipe - North Repps Norfolk 1958.
9. Waltz - Wells-next-the-Sea, Norfolk 1975
10. Swanee River - Wells-next-the-Sea, Norfolk 1981.
11. Among My Souvenirs /Daisy /Dickie Bird
- Wells-next-the-Sea, Norfolk 1975.
12. Home on the Range - Wells-next-the-Sea, Norfolk 1975.
13. Stepdance - Wells-next-the-Sea, Norfolk 1975.
14. Unknown /Blue Bells of Scotland - Norwich, Norfolk 1975.
15. Over the Rainbow - Norwich, Norfolk 1975.
16. Breakdown - Norwich. NorfoIk 1975.
17. Soldier's Joy /Girl I Left Behind Me /Breakdown
- Hingham, Norfolk 1961.
18. Dulcie Bell - Hlngham, Norfolk 1962.
19. Colonel Bogie - Hingham, Norfolk 1962.
20. Believe Me, If All Those Endearing Young Charms
- Hingham, Norfolk 196I
21. Isle of Innisfree - Hingham, Norfolk 1960.
22. Old Towler, - Hingham, Norfolk I963.
23. Perfect Cure - Hingham, Norfolk 1962.
24. Post Horn Gallop - Hingham, Norfolk 1962.
25. Hingham Waltz four composition) - Hingham, Norfolk 1963.
26. Whistling Rufas (with Walter Bulwer, fiddle. Daisy Bulwer, Piano,
Mrs Wortley, banjo) - Hingham, Norfolk 1959
27. Hornpipes: Yarmouth /Sailor's /Yarmouth
(with, Walter Bulwer, fiddle, Daisy Bulwer, Piano,
Mrs Wortley, banjo) - Hingham, Norfolk 1959.
1. Unknown Song Tune - Barford, Norfolk 1981.
2. My Beloved Cornelia - Barford, Norfolk 1981.
3. Dick Hewett's Favourite Stepdance - Barford, Norfolk 1981.
4. On the Green - Barford, Norfolk 1981.
5. The Gunner March - Barford. Norfolk 1981.
6. Flowers of Edinburgh - Barford, Norfolk 1981.
7. Pony Trot Polka - Barford, Norfolk 1981.
8. When Johnny Comes To Town - Baford. Norfolk 1981.
9. Down at the Old Bull and Bush /Daisy/ Dickie Bird /Peggy O'Neill
/Come Round Any Old Time/I Belong to Glasgow
- Barford, Norfolk 1981.
10. The Chicken Reel - Barford, Norfolk 1981.
11. Soldier's Joy - Rattlesden, Suffolk 1963.
12. Jenny bind - Rattlesden, Suffolk 1963.
13. Waltz - Yoxford, Suffolk 1962.
14. Breakdown - Yoxford, Suffolk 1962. e
15. Oscar Woods' Polka /Oh Joe the Boat's Going Over
- Knodishall, SuffoIk 1998.
16. Oscar's Waltz - Knodishall Suffolk 1998.
17. Cal Among the Tails - Knodishall. Suffolk 1998.
18. Lazy Bones /Ain't Misbehaving - Knodishall, Suffolk 1998.
19. My Happiness /China Doll - Knodishall. Suffolk 1998.
20. South of the Border - Knodishall Suffolk 1998.
21. Devil Among the Tailors - Knodishall. Suffolk 1998.
22. The Palm Trees of Kerry /Two Lovely Black Ryes
/Charlie Philpott's Waltz - Knodishall, Suffolk 1998.
Read reviews of this album
Welcome About Veteran Veteran catalogue News Artistes A-Z
Kyloe catalogue English CDs Irish CDs Scottish CDs Compilation CDs Books & Videos
Subscribers scheme Comments & Links Terms & Conditions
Other full catalogues