They Sailed Away from Dublin Bay
‘Irish Music in London’
(click on the artistes name to see a photo and /or a short biography)
Voted CD of the year 2003!
in 'Irish Dancing International' magazine
The explosion of Irish music in 1950s London included two influential players. One, from Tyrone, a trend-setter amongst banjo players who was renowned for his partnership with the late accordeon player Raymond Roland in the thriving Irish music scene at the White Hart and the Hibernian dance hall in Fulham Broadway. The other from Offaly with an original and animated style on the Paolo Soprani accordeon was meanwhile leading the resident ceili band at the Galtymore in Cricklewood.
Liam Farrell and Joe Whelan are very much part of the current mainstream of Irish music in London, having played together for approaching two decades, on occasion with the London-born Roscommon flute player James Carty and with Reg Hall, who first vamped the piano with them back in the 1960s.
1. Jigs: The Blooming Meadows / The Lark in the Morning (2.39)
2. Reels: George White's Favourite / The Galway Rambler (3.09)
3. Waltzes: The Trip over the Mountain / Continental Waltz (3.48)
4. Reels: Paul Brock’s / Mary McNamara’s (5.15)
5. Jigs: Paddy O’Brien’s / The Flying Wheelchair (3.45)
6. March & Reel: The Battle of Aughrim / Raymond Roland's (3.20)
7. Reels: Travers' / The Chicago (3.25)
8. Single Jigs: Kathleen Hehir's / Moyglass Fair (4.36)
9. Reels: Sean Ryan’s / Martin Wynne’s / Ormond Sound (3.29)
10. Hornpipes: The Good Natured Man / The Fairy's Hornpipe (2.45)
11. Jigs: Charlie Lennon's / Dusty Window Sills (3.59)
12. Reels: The Maid of Mount Cisco / The Abbey (3.36)
13. Polkas: Taylor’s Cross / All the Way to Galway / Barna Polka (3.01)
14. Jigs: Paddy Fahy's / The Rakes of Clonmel (3.59)
15. Waltzes: They Sailed Away from Dublin Bay
/ The Pretty Girl Milking her Cow (3.35)
16. Reels: The Holly Bush / The Congress (3.22)
CD - £9.25 (plus P+P) Add to Basket
MP3 downloads are available from all major digital retailers, as full albums or individual tracks, and there you can listen to a sample of each track. The following links will take you directly to this albums page on amazon or iTunes.