ĎMouthorgan, concertina & accordion music from Chagford, Devoní
(click on the artistes name to see a photo and /or a short biography)
years ago the pubs of the small remote Dartmoor town of Chagford would
regularly ring to the sound of mouthorgan, concertina and accordion music or
the rattle of a stepdance board. On carnival day the streets would be filled
by revellers following the music and drums of the Merrymakers band.
centre of this music making were two cousins, Jack and Les Rice. One a tall,
thin, reserved man who could play the mouthorgan like no one else and the
other a flamboyant gent who won all the stepdancing competitions.
Their tradition lives on in the hands of Jackís grandson, Jason, who has now teamed up with Mark Bazeley, grandson of the other Dartmoor musical legend Bob Cann. A living tradition and long may their dynasties survive!
1. The Harvest Schottische - Jack Rice
Holmanís Jig - Les Rice (anglo concertina)
16. The Scottish
/George Cannís /The Cliffe Hornpipes - Les Rice
19. Bob Cannís
Jack Rice (mouthorgan)
23. The Monkey Hornpipe /Waltz - Les Rice (anglo concertina)
24. Will Smallís Hornpipe /The Cliffe Hornpipe - Jack Rice (mouthorgan)
25. Nothing Over 6d in the Store - Jack Rice (mouthorgan) - Paul Wilson (fiddle)
26. When I Grow Too Old to Dream - George Allen (melodeon) - Les Rice (anglo concertina)
27. Heel & Toe Polka - Jason Rice (piano accordion)
28. Lincolnshire Poacher /The Feathers - Jason Rice (piano accordion) - Mark Bazeley (melodeon)
29. The Primrose Polka - Jason Rice (piano accordion) - Mark Bazeley (melodeon)
30. Cock of the North /Scotland the Brave /I Love a Lassie - Jack Rice (mouthorgan) - Les Rice (anglo concertina) - Paul Wilson (piano accordion)
CD - £9.25 (plus P+P) Add to Basket
MP3 downloads are available from all major digital retailers, as full albums or individual tracks, and there you can listen to a sample of each track. The following links will take you directly to this albums page on amazon or iTunes.