If you have come to this page
from a search engine
to visit our home page.
The Cat's Rambles
Michael Sheehy plays music from the Cork, Kerry, Limerick
border, an area known as Sliabh Luachra which means 'The Rushy Mountains'. It is
one of the most vibrant musical areas of south west Ireland being known for its
unusual polkas and slides (single jigs).
Michaelís father played the button accordion and came from West Limerick. He had
learned the local style from his father but when he moved the family to
Manchester in the 1950ís his music didnít fit in with the reels and jigs in
local Irish music pubs. He continued to play at home concentrating on teaching a
young Michael to play.
Michael Sheehy plays the piano accordion is now one of the finest exponents of
this exciting music. He plays in a style which is firmly rooted in the
traditions of Sliabh Luachra and he remembers his father telling him to ĎPut a
bit of life into ití. He certainly does that!
A gem of an album presented in an eight panel digipack with extensive
biographical and tune notes.
1. The Weaver's Delight /Dan O'Leary's /The Blue Riband - Polkas (3.05)
2. Art O'Keeffe's /Jimmy Doyle's /Tom Billy's - Slides (3.05)
3. The Fairy Reel /The Banks of the Ilen /Tom Billy's - Reels (3.11)
4. Behind the Ditch in Parc Anna /Tom Billy's - Hornpipes (2.58)
5 The Cat's Rambles to the Child's Saucepan /The Boys of Bunratty /The
Templeglantine - Slides (2.52)
6. Willy Connell's - Polkas (3.10)
7. I Will if I Can /The Priest in His Boots /John Mahinney's - Jigs (3.15)
8. Garten Mother's Lullaby /We Bring the Summer With Us - Waltzes (2.53)
9. John Walsh's /The Glin Cottage /Bridgie Con Matt's - Polkas (2.54)
10. She Hadn't the Thing She Thought She Had /The Gullane /The Kilcummin -
11. O'Sullivan's /O'Callaghan's - Polkas (3.07)
12. Mick Sheehy's /The Glountane - Reels (2.03)
13. An Sean Bhean Bhocht /The Jolly Beggarman - Hornpipes (2.50)
14. A Night at the Fair /The Cat in the Corner - Jigs (3.09)
15. Balliniska Band /The Merry Girl /Thadelo's - Barndances (4.01)
16. I Looked East and I Looked West /The Glin Cottage /The Annaghbeg - Polkas
17. The Worn Torn Petticoat /Scattery Island /The Kaiser - Slides (3.52)
Michael is joined by
Ed Barrett on fiddle on tracks 3, 9 &17, Alan Block on fiddle on tracks 5 &12
and John Howson on guitar
on tracks 6 &15.
of this album yet!
£11.99 (plus P+P)
Add to Basket
Soon! - MP3 downloads will be available from all major digital retailers, as full albums
or individual tracks, and there you can listen to a sample of each track.
The following links will take you directly to this albums page on amazon or iTunes.
Books & Videos
Terms & Conditions